Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Thinking Dog

Story, my young Labrador retriever, is learning new things. Like taking a jump, retrieving a dumbbell, jumping again, and bringing the bell back to my hand. She is a natural retriever, but had gotten it into her head that once she had a good hold of the dumbbell, she could run around the room, flaunting her ability to fetch and hold and carry all at the same time. Or else I had done a bad job teaching her exactly what I wanted -- a jump, a fetch, a jump. Sometimes I give her confusing information. Sometimes I tell her to "take it" before I tell her "over" (which is her command for jump).
We backed up, and I have begun to break down the individual behaviors. First, I practiced without my dog. My neighbors might think I'm nuts, but I stand in the yard, throw the dumbbell, yell out, "Over," and then "Take It," and then "Over" -- all by myself, no dog in sight.
Then, I put my dog back on a Flexi lead, lowered the jump height to about 12 inches, and tossed the bell. Sometimes I call out "popcorn" or "rabbit," so that Story will learn to listen to my command. Her body quivers, sometimes she anticipates and wants to retrieve, and those are the teachable moments. She's learning to think, and to listen for my commands.
Yesterday in her Open Obedience competition class, the puzzle parts began to lock, and this young dog began to think about the sequence. We all watched the "light bulb moment" as Story reacted only to my commands. We watched her think through her options, and choose the correct response.
Patience on my part allows my dog the freedom to make either incorrect choices or to follow my commands. Patience, which I sorely lack at times, gives my mudpuppy the freedom to think.
While Story practices her jumping/retrieving sequences, I practice patience; I'm learning not to rush this part of her education.

2 comments:

  1. Hokey says good luck but always remember Story that doing ANY of the obedience stuff is somewhat "dog option".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Story is well-versed in all her "options," and exercises them regularly!
    LOL -- Hokey you are a hoot.

    ReplyDelete