Thursday, April 22, 2010

Green Dog Ideas

Happy Earth Day! For dog owners who would like to make green decisions, there are several things to consider.
For example, how do you get rid of your pet's waste? While some communities require doggie doo go into double-black bags before disposal, others recognize the value of green alternatives. No, I'm not suggesting you throw your dog's poo into the creek (in many areas, that contributes to the levels of bacteria in streams and rivers).
You can, though, invest in biodegradable bags. Since you're a responsible pet owner, and you always pick up after your dog on daily walks, biodegradable bags are a good green alternative for waste disposal.
Other Earth Day suggestions: once your puppy outgrows his collar, wash it good and donate it to your local shelter or rescue organization. Ditto with crates. Invest in good stainless steel water and food bowls, rather than plastic ones (which my dogs have always managed to chew and mangle, so the stainless options last a lot longer).
You get the idea . . . you can have pets and use environmentally friendly supplies.

On another note, I'm pleased to announce that my youngest mudpuppy, my black Lab Story, earned her novice obedience title from the Australian Shepherd Club of America (ASCA) registry. I'm finally feeling connected to this challenging pup, and she is finally maturing. Labs are slow to grow up emotionally, and while I still call her my "puppy," Story will be four years old this summer. Ah, time flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment