Thursday, March 18, 2010

Facing Fears

My dogs and I have begun to face our fears. First, some background:
I have dreamt of becoming a published book author since I was young, when I would climb the steps into the bookmobile (anybody remember the bookmobile?), then climb the branches of a dogwood tree and settle back to read. When I was asked last fall to write a new breed book about the Labrador Retriever, I had no reason to say "no." After all, I'd been a newspaper reporter and then freelance journalist for many years. But a book? I had about 12 weeks to research and then write more than 70,000 words. Scary, indeed. I'm pleased to say I finished five days before deadline.
During that time, my young Lab, Story, got some well-deserved time off from serious training for competition obedience. This three-year old had some issues, as behaviorists would say. When she was a young pup, on a walk one day, she was attacked by a much larger dog that had slipped its tether. Story became leash reactive, people reactive, and with some canines, dog reactive. I worked slowly and patiently to teach her new coping skills, and she learned that I would always "have her back."
This week we returned to our competition training classes. Our first day in a new class, a young, larger, immature dog got pretty snarky and aggressive, lunging and growling. Our backs were to the dog, and as soon as Story felt his presence, she turned and started to reciprocate. I could feel her tension all the way up the leash. As I calmly began to lead her away from the situation, Story stopped herself, realized that I was in control, and I felt her lead go slack as she relaxed and stepped into heel position. This was the first true test of all the work we've done to face her fear, and she did not disappoint me.
Our next test of fears will come in April, when we begin dock diving lessons. I have no doubt that my Mudpuppy will love jumping and swimming and retrieving her toy. But me? Yes, I can swim. I don't like to, but I can. I have some "water issues." With my dog's help, however, I think I'll be able to face that fear and overcome it.
I'd love to hear about your fears, and how your animals helped you to stare down those terrors. On the flip side, how did you remediate a fearful dog?
Courage, Mudpuppies!

No comments:

Post a Comment