Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Courage of Dogs

We've seen the video of the dog in Alaska who, when asked by his fire-ravaged owner to get help, raced down snow- and ice-covered roads in the backcountry to find and lead a state trooper to his master's side. Buddy the shepherd was honored for his role saving his owner.
I think dogs in general, some in particular, display an abundance of courage in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. I think about my good friend Deb, and her Belgian Tervuran, Hokey, as the two traversed a cavern of canine cancer. Hokey is now in remission. I think about my neighbor's mixed-breed, who despite being tethered in the front yard almost daily (for hours, and no, animal control has taken no steps despite my repeated calls), maintains her calm, sweet, disposition. She's courageous because while she is neglected, she has not lashed out. I remember my dear first Labrador Retriever, the late great Sam, the dog who taught me patience in the face of great change in my personal and professional life.
Sam also served as my inspiration while I wrote my first book, "DogLife: Labrador Retriever." I wrote every page of that manuscript with Sam's photos on every wall of my office. His framed rally and obedience titles are daily reminders of the courage he displayed, the trust he placed in me while my shaking hand led him around the rings. The ribbons and rosettes -- green and red and blue and yellow and white -- that Sam earned during his senior years, prod me to learn new things and play new games with the Mudpuppy pack.
Gracie's titles and ribbons, and young Story's recently earned title certificates and accompanying ribbons, are displayed on other walls.
There will only be one Novice A dog in any competitor's life, and for me, that was my Sam.
There will only be one first book in any writer's life, and for me, that is "DogLife: Labrador Retriever."
I could not have written without courage, and I learned it from Sam. Now, I have to push way out of my comfort zone and actually promote the book. Here is my not-so-subtle reminder:
"DogLife: Labrador Retriever" is available for pre-order on Amazon.com. If you have a Lab, if you think you might want a Lab, or if you've been lucky enough to spend some part of your life with a Lab, I think you'll enjoy this book.
There, that's all the courage I can sustain. I need to go pet my dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment