Saturday, May 22, 2010

Story's Success

While I wait for the release of my first book, "DogLife: Labrador Retriever," due in August, I've been training my young Labrador retriever, Story.
This is the dog that has made me a better trainer. For example, when I was pulling my hair out because I could not get her to pay attention to my commands, I took her collar and leash off, took her into the bathroom, and sat with her, just a clicker and a handful of treats on the counter. Every time she looked at me rather than looking at the closed door, I'd click/treat. We continued this routine for about 10 minutes daily for a week. Then we progressed to the hallway. Then into the den, with the added distraction of my older Lab, Gracie, who pretty much gets to be where she wants to be and do what she wants to do on account of her age (10+).
After a month of that, Story fell into a new habit: she'd sit with me in my home office and hold her dumbbell. She'd fall into heel position as I paced the house (writers do a lot of pacing while we work). If I paced in circles in the yard, Story trotted along in perfect heel position. She doesn't always twist her head around and look up at me; instead, she learned to watch my shoulders or my feet or my knees for cues.
After about three months of this, and after my book manuscript was at the publisher, we resumed our competition classes. All of Story's hard work paid off in a huge way.
In April, she earned her ASCA CD (Australian Shepherd Club of America Companion Dog) title (this registry welcomes breeds other than Aussies at its obedience and rally trials; even mixed breeds are encouraged).
In May, Story earned her AKC CD.
I never thought I would get to this point with this dog. She has been a challenge, and a joy.
And now, while I begin to train her for the really fun stuff, the retrieving and jumping in Open classes, I'm again writing.
This next book will be about Chihuahuas. I'm certain now that Story will heel while I pace and circle and write and research and interview folks. I'm certain that the foundation skills I reworked with this Lab will pay off, and carry over into the Open ring. She has hit a stride and found her comfort zone. Meanwhile, I will test my own limits writing about a breed unfamiliar to me.
I have a good team around me, though, and we are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment